Thursday, March 12, 2015

Puppies and pictures and paintings, oh my!

My visit to the Humane Society of Broward County today went pretty well (if you exclude getting peed on and breaking my camera, but that's beside the point). Most of the pictures I took probably aren't usable because the dogs wouldn't stop moving, but I was still able to make a lot of progress with an idea as to what I want to do with my magazine. For instance, I learned that dog photography isn't as easy as it looks. Even though the dogs will be adorable regardless of what they do, it's hard to get them to stay still and listen to what you're trying to tell them to do, especially when they're untrained. One of them, for example, was so ridiculously excited about the fact that I was inside his cage/area... thing... that he somehow managed to open the door and run out into the kennel. Not only did he do that, but he opened the door to the other kennel and ran into that one. After that, he opened the door into the store and ran in there. I don't know how he managed to open three perfectly closed doors all the while having one excited teenager and another stressed out volunteer running after him, but he did it. And boy, was he happy about it (You can see Sith's happy pre-escape face on the bottom left). Another one, Chauncy, was acting pretty nonchalant about everything. She spent most of the time smelling the grassy area we put her in and choosing not to pay attention to me. The one second the volunteer/supervisor turned around however, she took the chance to jump at me and lick my face, neck, and glasses all the while stepping on my camera. I can't help but love her for being so cute, but I'm going to miss my camera. Anyway, her picture is on the top right.
As for the rest of the magazine, I came to a realization that I'd been over thinking most of it. For the past two weeks, I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate something artistic and colorful into a dog magazine while still staying within the parameters of the genre. Then, the most amazing thing occurred to me. The theme for the issue I'm working on will be "art" and will feature people who draw or paint dogs, whether for a living or as a hobby. The front cover, will be an oil painting of a dog I will hopefully be able to make once I figure out which picture to use. In the meanwhile, I'm super hyped that we were finally able to get the Photoshop suite onto thee laptops at school, so I can finally begin working on the actual magazine (as well as editing the pictures I took today).

No comments:

Post a Comment