Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week two begins...

One of the best parts about this magazine is the fact that I get to look at pictures of dogs for a whole hour and consider it work. Even better, I get to go to dog shelters to take pictures of those dogs and still consider it work. My plan for this week is to go to the Humane Society of Broward and begin taking pictures of their dogs (they also have some cute border collie puppies that I'd love to meet). Because most of the visual-related content in the magazine will rely on the type of pictures I take and the type of dogs I get the pictures of, I don't have much planned right now other than the stories and the few ideas I've has as to the mood of the overall magazine. One of which, will be the "breed of the month."
This part of the magazine will consist of information on a specific breed. I first came up with it while I was researching the types of stories pet magazines write, since Modern Dog magazine does something similar to it. In the beginning I was planning on making my main story on adoptable pets (since I've already written a column about it, anyway) but the more I looked into it, the more I realized that pet magazines don't write traditional stories with interview or anything, but rather write first person stories with information on a specific topic.
The breed of the month for the issue I'm making will probably be the Shetland sheepdog. I think my decision to do the Sheltie first came from the fact that I used to have one, but they're a nice breed to cover because of 1) their cuteness and 2) their usefulness as a sheepdog. The only problem I see with covering the sheepdog is that it might be hard to find any in south Florida, but thanks to the Internet, I'm more than willing to try.
The first part of the story will be about my own experience with a sheltie, and how his loving personality affected my childhood. After that, I would cover the history of the breed and its popularity
In the meantime, enjoy this picture of two adorable shelties.

No comments:

Post a Comment